I am not sure how I feel about the whole experience. Relieved. Happy. Tired. I haven't processed the full magnitude of this achievement. This semester has been like opening a wound. I was forced to face my baggage that I lugged around for years.
A couple of things
1. I was a crazy person for trying to finish in one go. It was
2. I have been ashamed of my college status for 6 years. I just avoided the whole topic because how can you explain that you didn't finish the last month of your last semester of college? (here's where my inner thoughts kick in) I assumed people would think I was "stupid" or less in someway. Having school completed... I can't even find words to say how I feel....I no longer have to hang my head. Powerful moment.
3. Baggage.
This is my story, and I want my readers to hear an authentic me.I am too aware of how the world views mental illness and it isn't with an accepting, open mind. What happened to me at ACU just did, but the painful part is the lack of caring for me afterwards. For them it was one day in my life, but for me I was thrown onto a different track. I am not living the life I would have, I am not the same person I was. There is an insensitivity to emotional and mental issues, we brush people aside as "full of excuses" or "overly sensitive." In reality there are certain pains that affect the entire person.
Last year, I was diagnosed with PTSD due to my experience while at college. Only then did someone agree to find a way for me to finish my degree. I fought for 5 years, tried too many times to finish in Abilene and every time I failed I was more ashamed than before. I catch myself wondering how my life could be different if someone had diagnosed me sooner, if anyone had validated these feelings I was having.
Now,by some gift,I can begin to lay this burden down.
So, completing this semester was "important" for me. I struggled with the work load, I struggled internally convincing myself I could do this and I wouldn't fail again, and I struggled with memories of the past that never seem to fade completely.
And I am not sure how else to say -- I am done.
hard
5 comments:
proud of you, relieved for you, impressed by you, HOORAY for you!!! so glad its finally over!! Congrats AM!
Wow! WOW!! WOW!!! What a big day for you!! And just so you know, it took me 13 years to get around to finishing my last few hours! You did great, and I am so proud of you! ~Leah Snyder
I'm proud of you.
Analee, reading your story is a *little* like facing Christ's resurrection. I wasn't there, so it is easy for me to look back and say I would have treated you better, that I am different from all those unhelpful people who judged. But I can only presume that since I wasn't there. But I know for sure that here and now I value you, I think you are an amazing and strong person, I'm sorry for how people have treated you, and I am so so proud of you.
As one who has been with you along part of the journey...
As one who has myself, more than once, experienced the complete loss of the ability to do anything at all and hidden it from as much of the world as I could...
I celebrate you and your "it is finished" moment. Well done!
Post a Comment