We found out last night, after my birthday dinner, that all the copious amounts of epoxy, silicon and other strange adhesives are impossible to get off. Yes, impossible. Basically here is the run down:
:: the walls, with their horrible, horrible 'paneling' if you can call it that, can be fixed fairly easily... we hope.
:: the surround in the tub area was hiding the poor retro tile covered in epoxy, and has to come out, yes I said all the tile.
:: the pretty little 50's style tub had a not so pretty sliding shower door, which left?? you guessed it epoxy on my porcelain tub. (here I had delusions of just reglazing everything, but even with sanding it will always be there, clumps and stripes of adhesive)
Once these things get taken care of you start the trickle affect. All the walls have tile and there is no good place to stop ripping it out. So it will probably just have to come out, all of it. The floor was already destroyed from the foundation work.
Before... I guess there should be an 'after foundation work before de-icky' Cause it doesn't look horrible here.At this point there is no plan. Just an icky feeling of knowing we are going to be spending a bunch of money. Maybe some people would be excited. And we have some money to get some work done, but I dislike it. I would rather have a less than perfect bathroom and money in the bank.
Anyway. Now I am just complaining. I like my house. When I pretend the bathroom just doesn't exist I like it a lot. MichMansion will one day be a cutie.... and maybe I will learn how to spend money.
1 comment:
I had good luck removing old epoxy using acetone. Apply, let sit. the epoxy will soften and can be scrapped off with a putty knife or with one of those razor blade scrapper things. It sounds wrong but sharp is really less likely to scratch.
I've also heard that Easy Off oven cleaner will work. {I'd test in an inconspicuous area but, hey, if you're considering replacing it anyway just give it whirl.}
I also once found a silicone grout removal chemical of some sort at Home Depot.
Still lots of elbow grease and patience... but I did save a lot of $$$ and I got to keep my pretty pink retro ceramic in both bathrooms of my mid-20th Century ranch.
Careful with all chemicals. Gloves and ventilate well.
Welcome, to the joy and pain of home ownership.
Post a Comment